Careers: Senior Software Engineer (£50,000)
BlueSky is looking for its first in-house, full-time software engineer in Guildford, UK.
Over 17 years, our pioneering team has made BlueSky the UK's leading performance management tool in the field of education. BlueSky is a web-based software product that drives professional development for tens of thousands of teachers.
You will be our first in-house engineer. You will gradually take charge of engineering practice that we've successfully contracted out for 17 years. In the long term we will look to you to set standards for future engineers and help recruit a larger team. There is the opportunity for this to become an executive level role within 12-24 months.
Educators are our lifeblood here at BlueSky – we need you to care about their careers as much as we do.
You'll be reporting to the Managing Director, Denise Inwood, who also designed and specified the BlueSky software.
In the short term, you will need to take ownership of our 50,000 line Rails 3 code base and deliver improvements alongside our outsourcing partner.
You'll be stepping into a multi-disciplinary team of server, front-end & database experts who are part of our outsourcing company, and will be a major part of BlueSky for years to come. You'll build a working relationship with their team, plan engineering work with them and manage a slow transition of ownership.
You'll also need to get to know our in-house sales and support teams. They are our customer experts and ultimately, our product designers – because they understand our business and its opportunities for growth. You'll need to know everything they do.
It is very likely there will be an on-call requirement in the first year.
Skills & experience
You must be able to show that you've:
- Analysed and refactored a codebase at least the size of ours.
- Contributed substantially to a Rails 3, HTML & CSS project.
- Written high-quality, tasteful, self-testing code as part of a team.
- Worked with business executives on web-based product specifications.
- Learned a new skill in the field of programming or operations in the last 2 years.
We have enormous ambition, and will definitely require broader expertise as our team grows. As a senior engineer, your experience could come from many directions, and we're open-minded about where yours might be.
But we'd be particularly interested if you had done even one of the following:
- Worked with others using Scrum or other Agile methods.
- Managed or recruited other software engineers.
- Built with Rails 4, 5, or newer web frameworks in other languages.
- Worked with Amazon Web Services (or other cloud hosting).
- Produced actionable business insights or regular reporting using advanced SQL
- Privacy-first design or engineering
- Built or contributed to Continuous Integration / Continuous Delivery pipelines.
- Worked with marketing teams on monitoring & improving typical SaaS product metrics.
- Worked on iOS or Android applications.
- Worked anywhere in the education sector.
The position will be based at our office in leafy Guildford, where our team of 26 is based
It is not a remote position, but we could develop flexible working practices within 6-12 months.
Salary and benefits
We are looking to pay no less than £50,000p.a. for the right candidate, and this is a full time position (37.5hrs/week contracted)
Our standard benefits include:
- 28 days annual holiday (inclusive of bank holidays)
- A part share in commission on the total new sales invoice
- Paid days for training and conference attendance to be agreed on appointment
Atkey Solutions is the company behind BlueSky - we are an education-focused SaaS provider, with deep knowledge of the sector and its needs. More than 1500 organisations use BlueSky in over 25 countries – our ambition is to continue to expand.
Ready to apply?
If this sounds like you, please email our Managing Director, Denise Inwood < email@example.com>. Tell Denise why you'd be a good fit for this position, and please attach a CV giving your relevant experience.
Please apply by 5pm on 1 st February 2019, so that we can make an offer by 8th February.
We reply quickly to applications, and ideally we will schedule two interviews:
- a technical interview by video conference (involving a short exercise, so you'll need a laptop)
- an on-site interview at our office in Guildford.
This position is currently only open to self-starters – no recruitment agencies please.
Atkey Solutions Ltd. is an equal opportunities employer – we welcome applications from people of every gender, race and sexuality.
(header photo courtesy of